For Superior Essays (Years 7 – 10)
Better Essays and Persuasive Techniques: ISBN: 978-0-9924942-3-0
Matches the Australian Curriculum: the “use of language to inform, persuade, entertain and argue”.
- introduces students to the key features of an essay/argument;
- helps students identify, and apply, key reasoning and persuasive techniques;
- shows students how to identify common appeals (an author’s values);
- provides strategies to help students identify the flaws and biases in an opponent’s argument;
- introduces students to a range of persuasive text types, their purpose and context;
- consists of 53 exercises based on current issues.
Better Essays Workbook plus Free Online Study Exercise Program
- See Chapter 1: A point-of-view essay (Ex. 1 – 4; pp 5-15)
- See Chapter 2: Reasoning Strategies (Ex. 5- 16; pp 23-42)
- See Chapter 3: Persuasive Strategies (Ex. 17-28; pp 43-76)
- See Chapter 4: Persuasive Text Types (pp 77-93)
Students will improve the quality of their writing:
- Students will use better words and appropriate metalanguage.
- They will write better sentences by avoiding 10 grammatical pitfalls.
- They will apply correct punctuation and show a sound awareness of the conventions of Standard Australian English.
- To see a Chapter Outline: Better Essays and Persuasive Techniques, please click here.
- To see the slideshow overview, please click here.
- How Can I Improve my persuasive essays?
- To see Lesson Plans, please click here.
- ENGLISH WORKS PACK: $95: Five workbooks: The Techniques of Persuasion, The Language of Persuasion: become an expert; Arguments and Persuasive Language: an essay-writing guide; Better Essays and Persuasive Techniques and Clear Writing: language and grammar.