VCE and VCE preparation classes focus on:
- how to write an A+ essay for text response (Area Study 1) (passage analysis; advanced notes; summaries and essay and paragraph planning)
- how to write an A+ essay on themes and character comparisons: for creating and presenting (Area Study 2) (advanced notes for thinking and character analysis notes/summaries)
- how to write A+ essays for language analysis (Area Study 3) (workbooks published by Dr Jennifer Minter)
- sophisticated written expression and polished use of vocabulary.
- For more detailed information see VCE Workshops and classes.
- See VCE Preparation: Years 9-10-11
- efficient and thorough essay-writing skills
- workshopping of creative pieces to improve character insights, originality and message
- advanced comprehension and reasoning skills
- persuasive reasoning and vocabulary extension
- See Head Start Classes: Years 7-8
Tasks and exercises
- We will do an exercise each week from the Yellow Book, relating to Techniques and Essays
- Creative writing: we will work on people stories such as Two of Us; and themes. See our summary.
- Pls see the tasks on Identity and Difference: Write an analysis of characters: Please personalise the story. Why are they different? How do they cope with their differences, ie positives and negatives.
- Focus on New Vocabulary and Spelling – common words to improve
- Creative work and english extension: we will read texts/passages from a variety of texts such as Christmas Carol, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.
- $35 for 5/6 students (VCE preparation classes/language analysis and scholarship classes)
- $55 per 3 students (per hour/Year 12)
- $65 per 2 students (per hour/Year 12)
- $95 per single (per hour/Year 12)
Resources: lessons include free workbooks published by English Works with online support; hand-outs on articles and short stories. (Please bring plastic sleeve folders to class.)
How to improve your expression
- Please see these tips for expression.
- Please click : See Checklist for Technique Identification.
- Please click here for “tone test” practice: learn some extra metalanguage:
Tone Test One
Tone Test Four
- Please click here for the Techniques Summary Page
- Please click here for the Techniques Checklist/Summary Page
- Please bring to every class …