Teachers/Students in Year 7
Chapters 1 and 2: Better Essays
Students will revise essay structure (pp. 5-15), understand the basics of an argument and become familiar with various reasoning strategies (pp. 20-34)
- Improve essay-writing skills through a knowledge of different types of evidence and reasoning strategies.
- Improve written expression and maturity through an awareness of tone/style/word choice (p. 43 and pp. 116-117).
- Use sentence openers to improve topic sentences.
- Download writable (fillable) exercises for class/homework. (Suggested responses are available.)
- Exercises 5-13, pp. 23-35.
- Revision Exercise 15, p. 41
- Plus supplementary exercises to build awareness of tone (pp. 44, 116-117) See typical examples
- Supplementary exercises (if required) of essay writing source material See Better Plans
Skills overlap with:
- Creative writing (manner of speaking and descriptions of characters)
- Character descriptions/analysis of texts
Teachers/Students in Year 8
Chapter 3: Persuasive Strategies
Students will identify persuasive strategies such as tone and word choice, appeals and attacking devices.
Students will use appeals to write better topic sentences.
Students will use “attacking devices” to write better rebuttals.
Download fillable exercises for class/homework:
- Exercises 18 – 29, p. 48 – 68
- Revision exercise 30, pp. 73-74. See Student Response.
Teachers/Students in Year 9
Chapters 4-5: Persuasive Text types and Better Sentences
Students will improve/consolidate their knowledge of arguments, persuasive and reasoning strategies. See the following exercises (download writable exercises)
- Exercises 33, p. 79
- Exercise 35, p. 84
- Exercise 36, p. 87
- Plus downloadable fillable exercises to help students identify a range of persuasive/reasoning techniques. (See fill-in-the-table samples. )
- Students will write a short essay based on each of the exercises. (See Powerpoint Presentation on essay-writing based on Exercise 35, p. 84)
- Students will use their knowledge of persuasive and reasoning strategies to write a variety of persuasive text types.
- Exercises 33 – 39, pp. 77-95
- Return to Better Essays and Persuasive Techniques
- To return to e:licence and e-book summaries, please click here.
- To see the slideshow overview and lesson plans, please click here.
- Please click to see the Chapter Outline of Better Essays.
Early bird preparation for: Area of Study 2: analysing and presenting argument