Join our English Language Membership Program to learn the skills that are critical to success in English Language (Units 3 and 4). These include:
- an ability to show your linguistic prowess in all sections of the course;
- an ability to write fluent, meaningful and contextualised commentaries (formal/informal/spoken/written) and see our latest workbook
- an ability to write clear, well-structured essays that incorporate contemporary linguistic examples and key ideas from linguists and relevant commentators
So what do you get?
Apart from saving time and solving the constant problem of information overload, here are a few more benefits of joining our English Language Membership Program.
Benefit 1: Use our numerous samples and sentence models to gain confidence using appropriate metalanguage.
In order to achieve high marks, you must demonstrate a sound knowledge of linguistic features. and link them to the author’s or speaker’s social purpose/function and appropriate subsystem. You must use metalanguage terms “appropriately in describing and analysing language in an objective and a systematic way.” (VCAA) See a sample: some everyday practice; and using metalanguage to advantage.
Benefit 2. We provide an extensive range of commentaries that help you write a fluent and linguistically dense commentary, whilst adhering to the criteria.
- Please note: often a block-style “sub-systems” approach can be repetitive and descriptive, as well as limited with regards to fluency and depth of analysis. Please see a sample commentary
Benefit 3. To achieve high marks for your essays, you must incorporate contemporary and relevant examples. But which ones?
- Please note: “A significant number of students wrote about social aspects of a topic but not enough about its linguistic aspects.” (2018 VCAA Assessment report). See linguistic analysis of aspects of 2021 Australia Day . We provide a categorised list of contemporary examples, analysed from a linguistic perspective.
Benefit 4. You must write clear and well-structured essays that show a logical progression of ideas. We will help you analyse — not summarise — key language features.
- Please note, you must include pertinent references to linguists and relevant commentators (which ones?) and analyse your examples. Plus Essays Made Easy: Please see a sample essay.
Benefit 5. We also have tips and support for short answer questions and grammatical content.
Main Categories: for members
- Please see Commentaries (formal/informal/spoken/written)
- Contemporary Examples for Essays: contemporary examples
- Essay structure: Essays Made Easy:
- References to linguists and relevant commentators
- Tips for Formal texts: Short answer
- See a summary of the features of formal language
- See a summary of the features of informal language
The English Language Membership Package costs $65.00 and is valid until the end of the Calendar Year. This Resource is updated weekly. Members: please send your requests!