New: Custom-made: an essay-writing workbook on your year level English resources
Here it is! Please see what your very own Customised Workbook looks like.
From feedback, we know you’d like to have a tailor-made workbook cherry-picking the best of our essay-writing resources, targeting your own year-level-specific texts and English requirements.
VCE Teachers and Students of English (Mainstream and EAL)
- Book pairs for VCE: The Crucible and The Dressmaker; Ransom and The Queen; The Longest Memory/7 Stages of Grieving; Tracks and Charlie’s Country; Stasiland; The Penelopiad and Photograph 51
- Text-based analysis: Rear Window; Station Eleven; Women of Troy; William Wordsworth Poetry
- Argument and techniques (opinion-based) analysis: our most recent publication, Arguments and Persuasive language: analysing and presenting opinion-based texts (2020) equips students with the metalanguage, and the analytical tools to write smart essays in their Year 12 SACs and exam.
- We also have a membership program so that students can work through the exercises in the workbook and practice their structure and terminology. (We also have a PDF booklet of our favourite metalanguage as well as a booklet of sample responses to the past 10 VCAA English exams: Section C.)
- In terms of text response, and book-pair analysis, we have packages of resources on the various texts that enables students to perfect their essay writing skills: quotes, plans, and sample essays as well as a focus on narrative devices.
Middle Years Teachers and Students
VCE foundation: preparing for SACs and exams
In order for students to build their analytical and written skills we have a range of resources:
- an introduction to persuasive techniques (The Techniques of Persuasion) as well as a comprehensive guide to opinion texts and argument techniques (The Language of Persuasion: become an expert)
- a detailed overview of analytical terms and narrative devices: “Analyse! Don’t Summarise: The Language of Persuasion” enables students to follow a range of sentence models in order to write with greater analytical precision that helps them write better text response essays.
- We also have text-based resources on commonly-studied texts. These are perfect for students who want to improve their essays, such as Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, To Kill a Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies.
First years of High School: Teachers and Students
Essay-writing and grammar
- In order to assist students with Naplan and scholarship tests as well as with persuasive writing, our workbook Better Essays and Persuasive Techniques: helps students use persuasive and reasoning techniques to gain analytical and persuasive depth in essays.
- A sound knowledge of parts of speech and sentence constructions helps students improve the control of their written expression. (See Clear Language: Writing and Grammar)
Improve your metalanguage skills
Use our workbooks at the Middle Years level to improve your reasoning and persuasive skills and acquire an analytical terminology that is one of the many steps that lead to better writing and deeper analysis.