Themes, people and creative writing
Students: we are working through key themes, and using these to analyse people stories. Please remember these themes and store them away in a safe place in your memory. When you write your own creative pieces, you can use relevant themes to reinforce your own point. Remember: you must have a message, a point, an angle, when you write your own stories and descriptions.
Task 3: (Sunday 21 August) Based on Ben Okri’s poem, we are thinking about Tammy’s and Judy Sharp and Tim’s story from the perspective: “those who transcend their limitations are greater than those who have nothing to transcend”, or “our handicaps can be the seed of our glories”. Show the significance of these quotes for Tammy and Tim.
Task 1: based on the article on Connor – cyber addict. Write a discussion of the following: “In the cyber world, you facilitate connections. You don’t forge relationships.”
- No true friendships –
- Suppress negative and positive emotions
- You do not invest any real feelings
- No face to face communication – immediate feedback
- Absence of emotional investment and emotional reactions
- Lack of personal features: Approaching, reacting, cooperating with people
- Do not get real feedback , real validation, affirmation
Task 2: comparisons and ideas based on Kayne and Adam: “The power of friendship is life-changing.”