Read an opinion piece
Improve your topic sentences/your reasons, your evidence and your reasoning skills.
One way to improve your persuasive essays is to take a topic, write your main contention and your supporting reasons for or against.
Then read an opinion piece from a reputable source, such as The Age, or the Conversation and try to include some deeper ideas and examples.
For example: Which type of school is better, Co-Ed or Single Sex Schools?
Write your main points, and then refer to “Co-ed schools better reflect the society we want to live in“, by Leanne Higham, The Age, March 8, 2020.
On another note:
Think widely and think broadly. Think about key ideas for your evidence/examples. Think about some main points.
Choose five of these quotes below and explain their significance:
- I was right not to be afraid of any thief but myself, who will end by leaving me nothing. ~Katherine Anne Porter
- Looking back, you realize that a very special person passed briefly through your life, and that person was you. It is not too late to become that person again. ~Robert Brault,
- Self-destruction is the effect of cowardice in the highest extreme.
- And remember, no matter where you go, there you are. ~Confucius
- Every man has a mob self and an individual self, in varying proportions. ~D.H. Lawrence,
- We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be. ~Jane Austen
- Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. ~Mark Twain, Pudd’nhead Wilson, 1894
- You are your own judge. The verdict is up to you. ~Astrid Alauda
- A wise man never loses anything if he have himself. ~Michel de Montaigne
- There is nothing noble about being superior to some other person. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. ~Hindustani Proverb
- Almost always it is the fear of being ourselves that brings us to the mirror. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin
- Self is the only prison that can ever bind the soul. ~Henry Van Dyke, The Prison and the Angel
- We are all primary numbers divisible only by ourselves. ~Jean Guitton
- The body is a house of many windows: there we all sit, showing ourselves and crying on the passers-by to come and love us. ~Robert Louis Stevenson