How to analyse a text
- What are the main argument, persuasive and rhetorical techniques?
- What (narrative) devices does the author use? Which words (quotes/emotive figurative language) best capture the author’s viewpoint?
Good analysis depends upon our analytical skills
- What language can we use to analyse the text? How do the techniques connect with /exemplify the author’s views?
- Analysis must be logical and systematic; unpack the text and the author’s views one idea at a time: try not to shove three ideas into one paragraph
- Use metalanguage: the language of criticisms; comparison; juxtaposition;
Good analysis depends upon the quality of our writing
- It is important to use technical terms in order to be analytically precise.
- Control of grammar; subject/verb/object; lexical density (using nominals)
- Where possible avoid an overuse of passive voice; use active voice.
- Vary sentence structures (simple/complex/short/long)