The workbook, consists of paragraph and essay plans, which:
- help students identify the persuasive tactics that are critical to the author’s argument;
- encourage insightful responses by focusing on an author’s strategic words and their implications;
- help students recognise a cluster of interrelated techniques or those with a common purpose; and
- show students how to write comparative essays; students will use the first text as a base from which to compare similarities and differences in other texts.
- Follow the Orange Workbook Tasks.
- Please see the Difference between a C+ (textbook-style essay) and our A + essay
- Please see a student’s paragraph before and after using our workbook
- For student and school support, see our lesson plans and “turn to exercises”.
- See Key Strategies for a “guided tour” of the updated essay-writing workbook.
- See Slideshow for an overview.
- See Lesson Plans (that help students systematically work through the exercises and gain the requisite skills)
- See Now Turn to Exercises (consisting of sample student responses, guided assistance and “suggested responses”.
- See School Support: Years 11 and 12 for a list of the resources to support this workbook.
- See our post on the difference between an A+ and an average essay; also “Tackling an essay on a persuasive text”.
The English Works Pack ($100): Includes:
- a copy of each of the five workbooks (Techniques of Persuasion, The Language of Persuasion: become an expert; The Language of Persuasion: an essay-writing guide; Better Essays and Persuasive Techniques and Clear Writing: language and grammar);
- the CD-Rom support kit with extensive support material
- $10.00 postage.
“Using the English Works language analysis workbook in Year 11 at school really helped me turn the corner. Building on these skills I went from averaging C’s and D’s in my essay-writing during Year 11, to an A+ student in Year 12. I even duxed English at Blackburn High School!” (Nathan, (42) Blackburn High School)
Teacher’s or Tutor’s Pack: (5 copies of The Language of Persuasion: an essay-writing guide) $50.00 (free postage)