New: Our English Language VCE Membership Package helps you master a variety of skills that are critical to success in VCE: English Language (Units 1 to 4).
- Metalanguage and linguistic concepts: how to explain your knowledge of linguistic concepts and grammar using appropriate metalanguage (the subsystems); Please See Practice Tasks for Metalanguage
- Analytical commentary: please see a sample piece: a simple, effective, fluent commentary
- Essays and current examples: how to identify and evaluate current language examples to use in a range of essays and apply linguistic terms/subsystems; (please see a sample page ); how to use and revise quotes from linguists and from social and political commentators.
- Sample essays: how to write an essay and commentary/prose in 45 minutes; (please see a sample)
Using Metalanguage across the subsystems
“The metalanguage is a tool rather than an end it itself.” “Students are not expected to define the metalanguage terms, but rather to use them appropriately in describing and analysing language in an objective and a systematic way.” (VCAA: “Frequently asked questions.”)
- At the basis of Units 1 – 4 is a knowledge of metalanguage. (You need a thorough knowledge of the sub-systems; our summaries will help you familiarise yourself with all relevant metalanguage; we provide samples on how to use the linguistic terms; plus a range of sample commentaries. (Please see Subsystems and Metalanguage and Writing a Commentary
SACS and Essays: current examples
- See Samples and List of Essays; plus current examples (after November 2019 as well as prior examples, with a detailed linguistic analysis. (“A significant number of students wrote about social aspects of a topic but not enough about its linguistic aspects.” (2018 VCAA Assessment report)
Return to English Works Classes This Week