New: Our English Language VCE Membership Package helps you master a variety of skills that are critical to success in VCE: English Language (Units 1 to 4).
- how to explain your knowledge of linguistic concepts and grammar using appropriate metalanguage (the subsystems); (please see a sample page)
- how to identify and evaluate current language examples to use in a range of essays and apply linguistic terms/subsystems; (please see a sample page )
- how to write an essay and commentary/prose in 45 minutes; (please see a sample)
- how to use and revise quotes from linguists and from social and political commentators.
Using Metalanguage across the subsystems
“The metalanguage is a tool rather than an end it itself.” “Students are not expected to define the metalanguage terms, but rather to use them appropriately in describing and analysing language in an objective and a systematic way.” (VCAA: “Frequently asked questions.”)
- Practice using metalanguage: see the Overview: metalanguage
- Commentaries: structure and a variety of tasks
SACS and Essays:
current examples for essays
- See Samples and List of Essays ; and current examples (2019) with a detailed linguistic analysis. (“A significant number of students wrote about social aspects of a topic but not enough about its linguistic aspects.” (2018 VCAA Assessment report)
Return to English Works Classes This Week