English Language Classes for Years 11 and Year 12 will be held in 2019 on Fridays from 7 – 8.10 pm and on Saturdays from 11.30 – 12.40 pm.
Next Class: Friday 18th January from 7 – 8.10 pm and Saturday 19th January from 11.30 – 12.40 pm. Please see summary of tasks so far.
In each lesson, we will be doing a grammar component, a summary of current examples/evidence for essays and undertake a range of writing tasks using appropriate metalanguage (short answer questions, commentary samples/paragraphs).
“The metalanguage is a tool rather than an end it itself.” “Students are not expected to define the metalanguage terms, but rather to use them appropriately in describing and analysing language in an objective and a systematic way.” (VCAA: “Frequently asked questions.”)
- What does this mean? Practice writing sentences using metalanguage to conceptualise, contextualise and explain the subsystems and linguistic terms. See Sentences for Age Editorial: Swinburne Clears the Air.
- The role of subsystems .
- Commentaries: structure and planning. Some notes on Commentary Structure.
SACS and Essays: current examples for essays
- See Public Language and Identity : Quotes, Examples and Paragraphs
- See Formal and Informal Language, Quotes and Examples
- Return to English Works Classes This Week