Area Study 2: Analysing and presenting arguments
The workbook consists of TEEL-structured paragraph and essay plans that:
- help students identify the features of arguments and the persuasive and reasoning tactics that underpin the author’s key ideas;
- encourage insightful responses by focusing on an author’s persuasive words and their implications;
- help students recognise a cluster of interrelated techniques or those with a common purpose; and
- show students how to write comparative essays; students will use the first text as a base from which to compare similarities and differences in other texts.
- See Now Turn to Exercises (consisting of sample student responses, guided assistance and “suggested responses”.
- Please see the Difference between a C+ (textbook-style essay) and our A + essay
- Outcomes: Please see a student’s paragraph before and after using our workbook
- To Purchase: Arguments and Persuasive Language: an essay-writing guide (unlocks the key to an A+ essay)
The English Works Pack ($95): Includes:
- a copy of each of the five workbooks (Techniques of Persuasion, The Language of Persuasion: become an expert; Arguments and Persuasive Language: an essay-writing guide; Better Essays and Persuasive Techniques and Clear Writing: language and grammar).
“Using the English Works language analysis workbook in Year 11 at school really helped me turn the corner. Building on these skills I went from averaging C’s and D’s in my essay-writing during Year 11, to an A+ student in Year 12. I even duxed English at Blackburn High School!” (Nathan, (42) Blackburn High School)
I was quite lost in language analysis in Year 11 and almost completely bombed out. Too much summarising and I just didn’t get it. With Jenny’s help I went through her Arguments and Language Analysis: an essay-writing guide, which gives tips, strategies and a good system to follow. It made all the difference between a decent and a terrible mark.” (Taehyun, 37, Balwyn High School, 2014)
“Jenny’s sessions made all the difference to my study in VCE English. Following her essay plans in the (language analysis) workbooks, changed the way I approach and fine tune my essays to reach a high standard. Focusing on key strategies and word implications helped me write impressive essays, contributing to my perfect score.” (Catherine Dinh, (50), 2013, Sacred Heart Girls College)